Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Katherine Nicolasora's Proportion Post

PART I


RATIO: a comparison of two quantities that have the same unit of measure.
















RATE: a comparison of two quantities that have different units of measure.
















PROPORTION: an equation which states that two ratios are equal.

















PART II


1). 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about _____km/h?














2). Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns.  Emma earned $75 last week.  How much money did Emma save last week?















PART III


What are the three ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true?
PART IV



PART V



1). No, it is not fair.
2). This does not seem just and fair.
3). This isn't fair because the homeless man stole only $100 and he was sent to prison for 15 years, meanwhile the CEO was sent for only 40 months in prison over a $3 billion fraud.
4). If I were the judge, I would have sentenced the CEO, Paul R. Allen, for at least 20 years in prison since $3 billion is a huge amount of money. As for the homeless man, Roy Brown, I sentence him to about a month -or less- in prison. Because, yes he did turn himself into the police and gave the $100 bill that he stole back, but what he did was still not right. Stealing is still a crime.


PART VI


Question: How tall are the trees surrounding the boy?

Answer: 
              I searched up what the average boy's height was online. It says that the average height for 12-13 year old boys (the boy looks around that age to me) is around 62 inches, or 5'2 feet. I used my fingers to figure out how many boys I needed to get to the top of the trees. About 3 boys that are stacked on top of each other is equivalent to the height of the trees. So, 5.2 x  3 = 15.6  (5x3=15 and 2x3=6).
So, my estimate is that the trees surrounding the boy are approximately 15'6 feet tall.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I think your post was very well done. Your pictures are neat and easy to understand. I liked how you used examples for your definitions. I like how your video is short, but I understand it. I also like how you bolded important words. One thing that would've made this post better is that you should've explained your answers for 1 and 2 more thoroughly in the Social Justice part. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My overall impression is that it looked confusing to me at first, but it really wasn't. It made me learn more about proportions. My three stars: First, that I explained my work pretty well, and I used pictures to help explain. Second, I underlined or bolded the important words. My font was also easy to read. Third, the pictures I made were clear and easy to understand, since I put a lot of effort into them. My one wish would be to do even better on my next post, and to try and make my own video.

    ReplyDelete