Ratio: A comparison of 2 quantities that have the same measure.
eg.) Bows:Buttons = 2:4
Rate: A comparison of 2 quantities that have different units of measure.
eg.) 100 km per hour = 600 km/hour
Proportion: An equation which states that 2 ratios are equal.
eg.) 4/8 = 1/2
1. 5 hours to travel 360 kilometres is about 72 km/h. 360 divided by 5= 72.
2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns. Emma earned $75 last week. How much money did Emma save last week?Emma saved $21. 0.28 multiplied by 75= 21.
What are 3 ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true? (3/4 = 12,16 or 4/9 = 16/32)
1. Horizontal (divide or multiply)
2. Vertical (divide or multiply)
3. Cross Multiplication (multiply)
Below is a video that explains proportional representation used in political voting.
- Does this seem fair? No I feel that this is not fair as the first person stole more money but is sentenced to serve less time in prison than the second convict.
- With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair? No this is not fair or just as the proportion is $3 billion stolen:3 years in prison versus $100 stolen:15 years in prison.
- Why have you made this choice? This would be the same as for every $1 billion stolen:1 year is served versus for every $6.67 stolen:1 year is served.
- What would you have done if you were the judge? If I was the judge I would choose a set amount and equally apply it to both cases so that the more money stolen would result in more years served.