Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Katherine's Pay It Forward

Part 1
What is 'Pay It Forward'?

'Pay It Forward' is a film that eight graders watched together during school. It's about a young boy named Trevor, and their assignment in school was to think of an idea that would change the world. Trevor thought of 'Pay It Forward.' The concept of idea was that Trevor would help three people, then those three people pay it forward to three other people, each. Then those three pay it forward to another three people each, and so on. It creates this huge chain reaction. It starts out small, but the result is great. Lots and lots of people would be helped. The idea of this was, that, when people ask how they can 'pay you back' after you've helped them, you tell them to 'pay it forward' instead of asking for something in return. 
We don't need anything in return when we help others. Helping others, then feeling good about ourselves afterwards is rewarding enough. 


Part 2
What was your 'Pay It Forward' act of kindness?

My 'Pay It Forward' act of kindness was to donate goods and volunteer at Winnipeg Harvest. 

Why did you choose this activity? 

I chose to volunteer at Winnipeg Harvest because I wanted to help the less fortunate families and people out there. To help the people who can't wake up in the morning and just walk over to a fridge and eat breakfast. I just wanted to help stop poverty for some people. 

Who did you help?

Hopefully, I was able to help some people who are suffering from starvation.

What did you do?

I donated some food items and volunteered to help at Winnipeg Harvest.

When did you do your act of kindness?  

I volunteered at December 8th, at 9am-12pm. 





Part 3
How did your act of kindness go?

It was a great experience. I had so much fun volunteering at Winnipeg Harvest, and I learned so much too.

What happened?

First of all, the lady, Shelley, talked to us about what Winnipeg Harvest was. She also explained what food banks do and how many people sign up for it. More than fifty-four thousand people in Winnipeg sign up for food banks each month. I was surprised to hear this. I didn't know that, that much people were struggling to feed themselves. It really made me feel fortunate. Anyways, Shelley taught us more facts and then gave us a tour around the warehouse. She showed us the different stations and areas, and what to do at each area. 

How did you feel?

The entire time, I felt thankful and fortunate. I was also pretty happy, since it was really fun and it was a great experience. Sad as well, since I learned that so many people are suffering from starvation.

How did the person or people react?

Shelley and all of the other adults just had a smile on their faces. I guess they were happy with the fact that other adults and some kids are willing to take time out of their lives and help others.

Did you ask the person or people to 'Pay It Forward'? 

No, I didn't since everyone there were volunteers. However, I did explain to the adults there what 'Pay It Forward' and the point of it was. They were surprised at first, but they later on told me that they liked the idea of 'Pay It Forward' and that they would try and do it themselves.  


Part 4
Why is the idea of 'Pay It Forward' important?

I think the idea of 'Pay It Forward' is important because it makes us realize how fortunate we are. Most people take things for granted, even I do at times, and it's because we don't know how it's like to live in poverty and with hardships. We don't know how it's like to be less fortunate. We can actually wake up in the morning and have a roof over our heads, breakfast ready to eat, warm clothing to wear and families to look after us. Most people don't have that. So, I think part of why 'Pay It Forward' is important is because it helps us realize that we are lucky to be fortunate and that we shouldn't take things for granted- that we should be thankful for what we have. Another reason why I think 'Pay It Forward' is important is because it can help so many people in need. The smallest things we do can make a big difference. For instance, if you donate clothes that means someone out there won't be cold anymore, donating food means that someone out there won't be hungry anymore, and so on. Little acts of kindness like that, can make a big impact. Sometimes, we just need to put others first instead of ourselves. The reward you get from helping someone, is that amazing feeling you get after, knowing that you just made somebody's life better. So, the next time you help someone, and they ask how they can pay it back? Tell them to 'Pay It Forward.'

Has your act of kindness made a difference?

I think my act of kindness has made a difference, since, the food items I donated means that people, or a family out there, will no longer be starving. And helping sort and pack the food items meant that there would be less work that still needed to be done. So, yes, my act of kindness has made a difference, and hopefully, I'll be able to make more acts of kindness that can make a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment